Sunday, April 20, 2008

Some random thoughts on what racism is.. !!

The word racism did not make much sense to me except that many of my known friends preferred choosing a very fair colored spouse. Everything changed when my little daughter came back from school to tell me … dad the teacher always talks, admires and answers questions raised by girls who are very fair…. She even gives them extra marks and abuses us when we go..why is that…..do I look ugly” . This distressed me a lot though I tried to console her.

This is something which happened about 10 yrs back, now I feel every segment of the Indian society smacks of racism..office, schools , college etc etc and we (Indians) have no moral right to preach to South Africans and others. I fear, we are great ethical preachers and not serious about change.

No comments:

Works at NABARD for poor HH / was Research Affiliate at CDS, Tvm / was Visiting Faculty on microFinance for MBA students NMIMS, Mumbai.